Monday, September 4, 2006

Easy on the speech fellas

Spent some time this weekend reading quite a few interesting blogs, and I noticed something "disturbing". I know blogging is a great outlet for youngsters to express themselves and share their thoughts with people all over the world but I didn't realised that there were so much angst, frustration and sadness out there. Aren't there any better ways for us to deal with our anger and depression?

I used to mouth-off a lot too in the past. But know what, it didn't help one bit addressing my feelings or problems then. The little satisfaction you felt when shooting off profanities aren't satisfaction at all, you are just clogging up your mind with dirt, like a jammed filthy drain. Do you know how the leper felt after he stratched his skin so hard till it's bloodied? He felt satisfied, but in reality he's not any better, because his bloodied skin can cause more health complications (like infection, gangrene - amputation or worse, septic shock - death) - wow, I sound like House (which happens to be my fav TV show). Well at least he certainly won't look pretty. Try seeing people seething with anger mouthing off, you wanna be around them?



I know sometimes you act in certain ways when you are with certain friends. This is one of those time when advice like "When in Rome, do like the Romans do." won't work. I was like that. When I was young, I thought it's cool with mix with rude & wild friends, and as I grew older, I couldn't care less (my mind was already clogged - big cleaning required) how people see me, or how my words affect others. Well I realised now what a jerk (another word almost fill this place) I've been, firing offensive words everytime I get irritated, frustrated and angry. If you disagree with me, try this experiment: Got a MP3 Player with voice recording (if you don't, you are more outdated than me)? Put it on record mode when you feel like mouthing off or when you are with the wild bunch. Then when you are calm and alone, play it back and hear yourself. Now ask yourself: do you REALLY like yourself sounding like that?

I don't profess to be any expert but I think there are many ways to express oneself positively even when faced with a lousy mood. Or do nothing. Just wait it out. It'll pass, some faster, some slower; but for sure it'll pass - nothing is permanent. Me, I just exercise, work the bags or spar with the guys in the gym. Of late, I find being mindful, chanting and meditating useful (this is a slow learning process for me considering I've made myself into a caveman in the past). My last words (actually won't be the last ;) to you is: be nice and gentle to yourself, guard your ever fluctuating mood or one day you'll wake up seeing an apeman on the mirror.

PS. Apemen are NOT gorillas. Gorrilas are gentle animals. ;)

5 comments:

madsolitaire said...

Perhaps it's merely their expression to connect with someone deeply, something that is becoming increasingly difficult in our modern but alienated society...

thompsonboy said...

I guess sometimes I don't mean those use those words but too much usage has made it become my usual vocab. I must say that I typed more in profanity than actually saying it out loud.

As for anger, what anger? LOL *lights up*

jiar said...

thanks. i mouth-off alot. i think it just comes automatically & i don't realize it. but it tends to make people uncomfortable sometimes. so i'm trrrrrrying to cut it down. hmm, i'd better start with blogging with less profanity. lmao. thanks yeah, enlightening post. :)

Anonymous said...

Aren't there any better ways for us to deal with our anger and depression?
Good question. There are many ways to overcome these problems but it varies with individuals. What you think it's best may not be the best for others. Everyone has different ways to express themselves you see... And yes, I would say that youngsters nowadays are more "depressed/problematic". It's clearly shown in the newspaper isn't it?

Just wait it out. It'll pass, some faster, some slower
O_o Yeah, it will pass for sure.. but it takes time.. and often, one would not have the patience to wait. You wait and do nothing, what if you gain nothing at the end? You would be more disappointed isnt it? The more hopes you have/put in something, the more disappointed you are when it doesnt work out...

Jacquelyn Ho said...

Anyways, no offence yah?
Those are just my thoughts, as a teenager :)