Thursday, August 31, 2006

May you attain Arahanthood

While having drink with a friend this afternoon, I received a sms informing me that Chief Abbot of Buddhist Maha Vihara in Malaysia, Ven Dr K Sri Dhammananda has passed away at 12.45pm today, on the National Day of Malaysia, 31st August 2006.

"Paradise is open not only to followers of a particular religion. It is open to each and everyone who leads a righteous and noble way of life."
Ven Dr K Sri Dhammananda
18-March-1919 to 31-August-2006


Although I've read about him being admitted to the hospital for stroke at the grand age of 87, I was still hoping he'll recover and continue his good work guiding and helping all of us who are lost and wallowing in samsara. He has taught me and countless others how to cultivate noble values and how to live our lives meaningfully. I felt I've have lost a truly wise and compassionate teacher.

I recalled how his teachings helped me cope with grief when I lost Hua Li unexpectedly almost 2 years ago, how I changed as I began to understand the meaning of my existence, and how much peace and happiness I've gained from his teachings.

Perhaps it's just a concidence that he passed away on our National Day, but deep down inside I hope he has been finally liberated and attained Arahanthood - no more suffering, no more dukkha.

Hope everyone spare a thought and prayer for this extraordinary man.

Feel free to download and read his publications HERE.

2 comments:

Guatyen said...

indeed Chief Reverand is a great being.

madsolitaire said...

I enjoy reading your posts.

Peace